Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Famous love letters by Napolean Bonaparte, Lord Byron and Gustave Flaubert

Love letters have always been one of the favorite mediums to express love and romance to someone you like. Starting with the classical age of kings and nobles, people used to write love letters to communicate their feelings to someone very special in their life. Here is a sample of some famous love letters written by such famous people like the great Napolean Bonaparte, Lord Byron and Gustave Flaubert.

Love letter written by Napolean Bonaparte to Josephine Bonaparte:

I wake filled with thoughts of you. Your portrait and the intoxicating evening
which we spent yesterday have left my senses in turmoil. Sweet, incomparable Josephine, what a strange effect you have on my heart! Are you angry? Do I see you looking sad? Are you worried?... My soul aches with sorrow, and there can be no rest for you lover; but is there still more in store for me when, yielding to the profound feelings which overwhelm me, I draw from your lips, from your heart a love which consumes me with fire?

Ah! it was last night that I fully realized how false an image of you your portrait gives!
You are leaving at noon; I shall see you in three hours.
Until then, mio dolce amor, a thousand kisses; but give me none in return,
for they set my blood on fire.

Famous love letter written by Lord Byron, the well known English poet to Annabella Milbanke:

My Heart -

We are thus far separated - but after all one mile is as bad as a thousand- which is a great consolation to one who must travel six hundred before he meets
you again. If it will give you any satisfaction - I am as comfortless as a pilgrim
with peas in his shoes - and as cold as Charity - Chastity or any other Virtue.

Love Letter to Louise Colet written by Gustave Flaubert, the famous French writer:

Have you really not noticed, then, that here of all places, in this private,
personal solitude that surrounds me, I have turned to you? All the memories of
my youth speak to me as I walk, just as the sea shells crunch under my feet on the
beach. The crash of every wave awakens far-distant reverberations within me.

No comments: